Wednesday 7 September 2011

Lucinda Bruce-Gardyne - The Gluten-Free Bread Genius


A heroine of mine.

Already a chef, Lucinda felt frustrated when she found that her two sons were wheat intolerant and so were being advised to follow gluten-free diets. Due to it being intolerance the young boys would not be eligible for gluten-free food on NHS prescriptions for diagnosed coeliacs like myself. Therefore Lucinda would have had to resort to trying the minimal range of gluten-free bread products available in supermarkets. The Genius website presents her findings as tasteless and expresses her annoyance at having to toast or cook the bread before it was edible. Lucinda, like myself, obviously enjoys a challenge and has a great deal of patience as she spent a lot of time perfecting a recipe that would provide a “fresh bread” alternative. The result being a fabulous loaf that can be eaten straight from the packet; bread that doesn’t crumble when you so much as look at it and is great for sandwiches. This bread has made many an appearance on my special “gluten-free shelf” at home but I am afraid my heart belongs to another loaf. For those of us who are registered coeliacs we are entitled to gluten-free food items on prescription. (I recently acquired a pre-payment certificate for the year so I don’t have to keep paying per prescription. I would recommend this to any other coeliacs)

So what is this gluten-free bread that rivals the Genius giant then? The bread that I am talking about is made with Juvela Gluten Free Mix (500g) in a breadmaker on a special gluten-free program. Although that sounds like a lot of work it’s not. A lot of breadmakers now have gluten-free programs and once you’ve put the flour in with water, oil, salt and yeast, pressed the button and waited 2 hours you will be rewarded with a beautiful soft, light, spongy loaf. This bread is so good that I often eat half the loaf when it first comes out, that is if my dad doesn’t eat it first. Although he isn’t a coeliac he tells me that freshly baked Juvela bread is better than any normal bread! A pretty strong statement from a man who is a self-confessed bread addict.

So if you have the ability to get gluten-free items on prescription (by prepayment cards or other eligibility) then definitely give it a go. Juvela Gluten-Free Mix (500g) will not disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment